1751 to 1945
c 1751 First turnpikes built
1754 A road ‘leading from Carholm Gate to Drinsey Nook, Dunham and Littleborough (Marton) Ferries’ opened
1763 Roman east gate demolished on the orders of Sir Cecil Wray so that he could extend his house
1763 Obelisk erected on High Bridge, conduit beneath
1769 General hospital built
1771 Horse racing began on the West Common, last racing took place in 1964.
1775 Smith, Ellison & Co bank built at corner of High Street/Mint Lane
1780 John Wesley first preached in Lincoln, in Castle yard
1784 Lincolns first newspaper printed
1786 New Road (Later Lindum Road) was opened, considered "one of the greatest, most useful, and most ornamental improvements made for many years past.
1791 Barbican walls and towers that projected in front of the Castle's east gate removed
Late 18th century Roman north gate of Newport Arch pulled down.
1801 Lincoln's population over 7,000
1805-09 City Gaol and Sessions House built at the junction of today's Lindum Road and Monks Road
1806 Spires on the Cathedral's West towers removed due to concern of damage to the towers. Tower foundations strengthened.
1806 The Depot or military arsenal was erected near what is now Depot Street, because of the threat of invasion from France. It was guarded by a detachment of Royal Artilllery soldiers no longer fit for active service. The building later became part of Dawbers brewery.
1806 Theatre Royal built in Kings Head Yard
1813 Gowt's Bridge built by the Corporation, designed by Ald W Hayward.
1813 The Central National School opened on the north side of Silver Street. The Lincoln School of Art was on the first floor until the opening of the new School of Art on Monks Road in 1886.
1813 Gowts Bridge erected
1814 Lincoln Stock Library founded at the north end of Mint Lane, a large collection of new and used books, and many local history books.
1816 Savings Bank established in Bank Street
1820 April 20th Lawn Asylum opened
1821 On July 19th the coronation of George IV was celebrated in the city, but it turned to violence and the window of the Reindeer Inn (now the HSBC bank near the Stonebow) was broken. The army were called out, the Riot Act was read, and the streets cleared.
1826 Guildhall Street was widened.
1826 The General Dispensary opened February 11th on the Cornhill
1826 Grand Stand erected on the Carholme Race-course at a cost of £6,000.
1826 County Hall, the law courts, built at the western end of Lincoln Castle. Designed by Robert Smirke (1780-1867) and built at a cost of £40,000
1828 an act of Parliament formed a body of men called the Commissioners with powers to pave and light the streets.
1829 Lincoln lit by gas for the first time
1832 Lincolnshire Chronicle newspaper first published
1832 On 6th November the Theatre Royal burnt down
1833 Mechanics Institute established at The Greyfriars
1835 The Municipal Reform Act brought about change in the composition of local government; the City of Lincoln's Corporation was made up of 1 Mayor, 6 Aldermen, 18 Councillors, a Recorder, a Sherrif, a Town Clerk, and other officers.
1836 Roman west gate discovered beneath castle wall. The weight of the castle wall caused the arch to collapse and it was quickly re-covered.
1837 The Wesleyan Chapel (locally known as Big Wesley) on Clasketgate opened. It could seat 1,460.
1842 Diocesan Training College (now Bishop Grosseteste University) erected for the training of School Mistresses
1843 Castle Prison rebuilt, designed by Nicholson & Goddard of Lincoln
1846 Midland Railway arrived in Lincoln.
1847 City Arms (formerly The Reindeer) on Guildhall Street demolished.
1848 Cattle Market on Monks Road opened
1848 The Lincoln Corn Exchange where grain could be bought and sold was built. Designed by W A Nicholson in the Classic style
1849 Oriel window from John of Gaunt's "Palace" moved to Lincoln Castle
1851 Midland Counties Insurance (later Royal Insurance) offices erected in Silver Street. Designed in the Classic Modern style by Pearson Bellamy, architect, of Lincoln.
1854 Statue of Edward Parker Charlesworth erected at Lawn Hospital. He died in 1853.
See bio http://bit.ly/1mRGFJn
1859 Lincoln Gazette & Times first published
1859 6th October Rosemary Lane Wesleyan School opened, it replaced the Wesleyan School in Grantham Street
1860 County Constabulary (police) office built at the corner of High Street and Monson Street.
1861 Lincoln Equitable Co-operative Industrial Society Limited established.
1865 Part of a Roman Tombstone uncovered during the building of a house on Salthouse Lane
1866 The Lincoln Institution for Nurses was founded, with a view to providing nurses of character and experience for both rich and poor. The nurses were trained at London hospitals and worked all over the country.
1871 The Particular Baptists Chapel built on south end of Mint Lane to a design by Michael Drury in the Romanesque Style.
1876 The Congregational Chapel on Newland built, designed by Bellamy and Hardy in the Transitional Early style.
1876 The City Corporation begins building sewers
1878 Oddfellows Hall erected on Unity Square, designed by W Mortimer of Lincoln.
1st May 1878, Prisons at the Castle and Sessions House closed down, prisoners moved to Lincoln Prison on Greetwell Road
1878 October, the New Barracks on the east side of Burton Road completed at a cost of £48,000
1878 Lincoln County Hospital, in Renaissance style, on Sewells Road erected at a cost of £32,000, mainly paid for by subscription.
1879, 8th July The first Lincoln to Mablethorpe excursion train.
1879, 13th July A pleasure steamer owned John Brevitt, the Albert & Victoria, began it's return journey to Lincoln from the Pyewipe Inn. The boat was registered to carry 61 passengers but there were over 100 onboard. The roof deck collapsed under the weight of the passengers causing the sides of the boat to collapse, the boat sank. Fortunately all the passengers were accounted for.
1879 New General Dispensary building erected on Silver Street at a cost of £2,022 from a design by Watkins and Scorer
1879, 5th December The Corn Exchange opened. It was built from a design by Bellamy and Hardy, architects, of Lincoln at a cost of £7,500. The former Corn Exchange was converted to shops at a cost of £3,000.
1880 Work commences on the building of Burton New Road (later Yarborough Road).
1880 Horse-drawn trams introduced, running from High Street at St Benedicts Square to Bracebridge
1881 Lincoln's sewerage system completed after 10 years work at a cost of £101.986
1883 Smith, Ellison & Co's bank (now NatWest) rebuilt
1883 Holmes Common sold to Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway Company.
1884 Lincoln castle opened to the public for the first time
1884 Roman Villa discovered at Greetwell
1884 Lincoln City Football Club was founded
1884 Prison at Sessions` House rebuilt.
1885 College of Art built, designed by George Sedger of London.
1886 Lincoln School of Science & Art opened on Monks Road.
1886 Grand Stand on the Carholme enlarged at a cost of £2,000
1887 Stonebow restored
1889-90 Drill Hall in Broadgate erected from plans by Goddard & Sons and paid for by Joseph Ruston.
1890 Washingborough Road Cemetery opened
1892 21st January, The Public Libraries Acts were adopted
1893 The new Theatre Royal was built
1893 Roman Villas found near to the present Tower Avenue and Tower Drive
1893 Lincoln Christ’s Hospital Girls’ High School opened on Lindum Road, designed by William Watkins
1894 The first public library in Lincoln opened at the City Assembly Rooms.
1898 first electricity generating station in Lincoln was built
17th December 1898 First electric street lights lit
1901 Lincoln's population is 48,784
1902/3 High Bridge buildings totally restored under the instruction of William Watkins
1904 Lincoln Corporation purchases the tram system
1905 A typhoid epidemic killed 130 people. The horse drawn trams in Lincoln were replaced with electric trams.
1907 The Theatre Royal's Clasketgate entrance opened.
1910 10th March Consecration of St Nicholas's church following enlargement of the Gilbert Scott church and designed by Charles Hodgson Fowler.
1916 2nd October. At Central Station. Great Central passenger train from Cleethorpes collided with the rear of the 6.17 p.m. Great Northern train from Grantham. Five passengers and the guard in the Cleethorpes train complained of injuries, and one died later.
1918 9th April King George V and Queen Mary visited Lincoln, including Fosters, Rustons and the Northern General Hospital
1919, April First houses built on the Swanpool Garden Suburb.
1920 First bus service in Lincoln
1920s First Council Houses built in Lincoln
1927 25th May, Usher Art Gallery opened by the Prince of Wales
1929 4th March, Tram service ended.
1937 The Buttermarket on High Street demolished, the frontage was used as the facade on the north side of the New Market on Sincil Street.
1938 Obelisk removed from High Bridge because concerns about its weight damaging the bridge.
1939-1945 11 people killed in Lincoln due to enemy bombing