The Duke of Wellington shortly before it was rebuilt in the 1930s
E S Kitching, house furnishers, were on the corner of Melville Street and Waterside South. Mr Kitching knew a thing or two about earning money from advertising. By 1941 the business had moved to 117 High Street. On the Melville Street frontage is the legend "Little Profit" Furniture Stores, was he complaining?
St Rumbold Street in the early 1900s. These buildings were demolished during the slum clearances of the 1930s. Otters builders office is visible, note all the chimney pots stored on the roof. Otters began business in the late 19th century and were in partnership with Broughton, later becoming M Otter & Son.
The Greyfriars building is on the far left of the picture and the Wheatsheaf Inn is on the right at the end of the street. The multi-storey car park and Premier Inn in on the site now.
Broadgate 1949. The Drill Hall, paid for by Joseph Ruston, for the First Lincoln Volunteer Company, is the building with embattlements in the centre left of the photo.
This attractive jumble of buildings stood where Premier Inn is now were photographed in 1973.
The corner building on the left was Shipleys, one of Lincoln's leading builders merchants. Shipleys were taken over by Jackson's, a competitior, and the joint company traded as Jackson Shipley but now the Shipley name has been lost and the company now trades as Jackson Building Centres.
At the far end of this block of buildings stands the Wheatsheaf Inn, later to be renamed O'Rourkes Irish Bar, a popular Lincoln pub in the 1960s. The tall building in the far background is the Lincoln telephone exchange.
Frederick Choice was a pawn-broker, jeweller and furniture dealer. He had several shops on Lincoln's High Street, corner of St Swithin's Square and Bailgate; this shop was at 51 Melville Street in 1913, now the location of Lincoln's 'bus station
The building on the corner of Broadgate and St Swithin's Square was Frederick Choice Ltd., pawnbrokers. The ruins to the right are of the Central Cinema which was destroyed by fire in 1944. The fire damaged area wasn't cleared until the early 1960s