Clayton, Shuttleworth & Co
Nathaniel Clayton and Joseph Shuttleworth, a shipwright, formed a partnership in 1842. Using 1.5 acres of land on Waterside South which was liable to flood. They set about raising the level of the land by carting in soil. They began with 12 men, 2 forges and a lathe.
Clayton, Shuttleworth & Company built their first portable steam engine in 1845 and, in 1849, their first threshing machine. They built steam engines for other manufacturers as well as themselves. The number of people employed by the company expanded rapidly from 100 men in 1848 to 520 men and 80 boys in 1854, it was by this time the biggest manufacturer of portable steam engines in the world. Their threshing machines were being sold throughout Europe, in 1857 they claimed that they had sold 2,400 threshing machines.
The company exhibited at the Great Exhibition, at Crystal Palace, of 1851.
By 1862 the firm employed 940 men.
The firm became a limited company in 1901 and Alfred Shuttleworth, son of the founder became chairman.
(continued in next column)
A subsidiary, Clayton Wagons Ltd, was formed in 1917 to produce railway wagons and steam lorries in a new factory, the Abbey Works. Clayton Wagons produced the Dewandre servo from 1926, and demand was so great that a new company was formed, Clayton Dewandre.
Unfortunately, various financial difficulties soon beset C & S, mainly due to an unpaid debt by an Austrian company, and the Titanic Works was sold to Clayton Dewandre Ltd in 1929. Clayton Wagons entered liquidation in October 1929 and the Abbey Works was eventually acquired by Smith’s Stamping Works of Coventry and renamed the Smith-Clayton Forge, which became a subsidiary of GKN in 1966
Marshall, Sons & Co of Gainsborough bought the goodwill, debts and spare parts.
Clayton Dewandre was acquired by American Standard Co in 1977.
The Clayton Steam Railcars
Other pages you may like