The Lincoln Corn Exchange, where grain could be bought and sold, was built in 1848. Designed by W A Nicholson in the Classic style.
"The Corn Exchange, a handsome building fronted with stone, with a Roman basement and Corinthian superstructure, contains a large and elegant room. The room is let for public meetings, concerts, etc; and apparatus and arrangements are provided for dining and providing refreshments for larger parties than could elsewhere be accommodated in the city. There are also smaller rooms for committees, and provision for addressing open-air meetings, the speakers occupying a platform projecting from the second storey."
- Lincoln in 1855, read more here
In 1879 it was replaced by a new, larger building. Built from a design by Bellamy and Hardy, architects, of Lincoln it cost of £7,500. The former Corn Exchange was converted to shops at a cost of £3,000.