High Street - St Benedicts Square to St Mary Street
Click on image to enlarge
<<<< Return to images menu >>>>
High Street, Cornhill on the right and St Benedicts Square on the Left, in the distance can be seen the Stonebow. About 1905.
There's a lot to see in this image: In the middle of the picture is a horse drawn tram arriving at the St Benedict's Square terminus, The last horse tram ran on 22 July 1905.
Hugh Wyatt's "The People's Clothing Mart" at 195 High Street, is on the left of the picture. He started his business in 1867, later becoming Wyatt & Hayes, under the ownership of Joseph Hayes. Wyatt was Mayor of Lincoln a total of 5 times and held several public offices. The advert dates from 1901.
Bausor & Sons, general drapers, are at 196 & 197. Alfred J Bausor was in charge of the business following the death of his father, William, in 1899.
On the south corner of St Benedict's Square is the Capital & Counties Bank, completed in 1903, later to become Lloyds Bank.
It would be re-assuring to the traveller that the Black Swan had 'well aired beds'. Hepworths had their corner position on the junction of the High Street and Cornhill, which they retained for over 80 years.
Richard Wingad's barbers shop stood on the corner of Swanpool Court, next door was Richard Strawson's dining rooms. During the early 1920s these two shops were demolished, a new shop was built in place of Wingad's and Hugh Wyatt's "Peoples Clothing Mart" was extended, there are now three windows on the first floor. Date of photo: turn of the 20th century.
This attractive shop at 191 High Street was the premises of Cuthbert Wilks, chemist, for over 40 years, his son, also Cuthbert, joined him in the business in the 1870s. Cuthbert jr, died in 1893 at the age of 37.
Peacock, Willson & Co., were operating their Lincoln bank from the premises in 1895 when this photo was taken.
The electric trams started operating on 23rd October 1905, the tram in the picture is a Brush with an open top; later models had a roof on the upper deck. The electric trams started operating on 23rd October 1905, the tram in the picture is a Brush with an open top; later models had a roof on the upper deck.
The much missed gothic façade of Barclays Bank can be seen on the right of the picture.
The first shop on the left is Willows confectioners. Higgs the tobacconists is next door. Frederick Higgs started his business in 1883 here at 187 High Street, eventually there were Higgs' shops in Lincoln, Louth, Sleaford and Spilsby. Above Higgs was Mrs Buffham's 'Salon de Modes'. Sadly, this fine block of shops and offices was demolished in the 1970s for the building of Wigford Way.
On the other side of Brayford Street was Henry Kirke White's Lindum Restaurant. The large building further along was Lloyds' Bank, designed by William Watkins & Son
Picture probably taken during Lincoln Horse Fair. The Midland Bank Company's ornate gothic building of 1873 can be seen on the corner of Cornhill: The Midland was taken over by the Stamford, Boston and Spalding Bank in about 1885 and Barclays in 1913. The masts on the roof are for the telephone exchange which was opened in the 1880s. The Building without blinds is the National Provincial Bank, moving to the left: Pennell & Sons and G A Grierson Chemist.
William Watkins created this stunning design for the new Peacock, Willson & Co Bank at 191 High Street. It was built in 1896/7 by Doulton's of Lambeth, the façade was covered in terracotta, a Watkins speciality.
Lloyds Bank took over the bank in 1912, eventually moving to their former Capital & Counties branch on the corner of St Benedicts Square.