High Street, High Bridge and Stonebow
Click on image to enlarge
This image can be dated to between 1900 and 1909. Salter & Salter moved to 295 High Street (see sign protruding from wall) about 1900 but had moved north of the Stonebow by 1909, It appears in this image that Lidgetts are still on the corner of Saltergate, that dates it to before 1905 when LIdgetts was demolished for the widening of Saltergate
Coopers fish, game and poultry shop and the Lord Nelson Inn. The Lord Nelson closed in about 1909. Part of the obelisk can be seen in the far right of the image.
Spread Eagle Hotel was formerly a coaching inn, stage coaches would call here on their journey from Barton to London. THe Hotel was sold to F W Woolworth in 1923 and rebuilt as one of their "thru-penny and sixpenny" stores. Manfields boot and show shop is on the far right of the picture
An interesting photo of the south side of the Stonebow. Higgs, the well-known Lincoln tobacconists had a shop under the Stonebow for almost 100 years. There is a protruding sign on the corner of High Street and Guildhall Street, showing only the letters "RTHS", which is enough to indicate that Hepworths were located there at time of this photo. Hepworths moved to the Cornhill in 1893 and The Lincoln & Lindsey Bank, to a design by William Watkins, was built here at 221 High Street, the building was enlarged to incorporate number 220 in 1923/4, designed by William Watkins' son, William Gregory Watkins.
This image is from the late 19th century. In 1900 Brown & Co's shop was rebuilt to a design by William Watkins & Son, the business then became Hewitt, Brown & Co
Probably one of the last Lincoln Horse Fairs on the High Street. Hewitt, Brown & co's 'new' store can be seen on the right.
An interesting drawing from the early 19th century. From north to south: St Peter at Arches church tower, Stonebow, Spread Eagle hotel, Lord Nelson inn, obelisk, Black Goats inn (may have been the 3 Goats at that time). In this context Goats = Gowt = Drain.
This postcard image can be accurately dated to 1905. The shop to right of the Stonebow is LIdgetts jewellers, the shop was demolished in 1905 to allow the widening of Saltergate
<<<< Return to images menu >>>>