Lincoln's Pubs, Taverns & Inns
This is not an exhaustive list of all the Public Houses of Lincoln, I would welcome any further information on Lincoln's hostelries.
Crown & Woolpack
The Adam & Eve and is now one of Lincoln's oldest inns,dating from the late 17th century, in a lease of 1760 it is known as "The Angel ... formerly called or known by the name of the Adam & Eve". By 1828 it had reverted to the name we know it by today. The buildings were added to in the 18th, 19th and 20th centuries.
The Adam & Eve remains open despite the attempts of its owners, the Dean and Chapter, to close it for an extension to the Cathedral School
The Black Boy Inn stood on the corner of Castle Hill and Drury Lane. It dates from the early 19th century and closed in the 1920s. Marwood, the execut-ioner, would stay here the night before his services were required. The Black Boy was popular with the Cathedral bellringers. The building is now the Castle Hill Club.
The Bowling Green opened in the 1920s for the then new St. Giles estate.
Very popular pub at one time but closed a few years ago. The building was demolished in 2014
The Albion Hotel, on St Mary's Street, was built in 1867.
Closed since a fire in 2006, now owned by Lincolnshire Co operative Society, who have been unsuccessful in finding a tenant. It is hoped that it can be revived in the prposed Lindongate Centre.
The Black Swan was on the High Street a few metres north of St Mary's Street.
The pub closed some years ago but the building is still standing.
Dolphins Inn on the corner of Eastgate and Priory Gate was one of Lincoln's oldest inns, It may previously have been called the Greyhound. Alfred Shuttleworth bought the inn and the range of buildings adjoining it in 1892. The buildings were demolished to improve his view from his home at Eastgate House (Now the Lincoln Hotel)