The Jews' Court was traditionally believed to be the site of the falsified martyrdom of Little Hugh and a well in a corner of the basement was alleged to be the place where the body was concealed. In 1911, Mr Dodgson who then owned Jews Court charged visitors 3d to see the well in the basement of Jews Court, claiming it was the very well Little Hugh had been found in. Plenty of people bought a ticket, but they were duped for not only was there no connection between Jews Court and Little Hugh, but the well had only been dug in 1910 by Harry Staples of Hereward Street, Lincoln, on Mr Dodgson's instructions.
In the late 1920s Lincoln was going through a major slum clearance, Jews Court narrowly escaped demolition, due to the efforts of Lincolnshire Architectural and Archaeological Society (LAAS) who were given the building by Lincoln Corporation on condition it was refurbished.
It is now the home of the Society for Lincolnshire History and Archaeology
Learn more about the Jews in Lincoln here