John Cooke (c1821-1887) was apprenticed to a wheelwright’s shop in the village of Eagle, near Lincoln. He rose in the business and expanded it into an engineering works. The firm moved to Lincoln in 1858 on the corner of Monks Road and Montague Street. The increase in the range of products and sales necessitated a move to new premises between Monks Road and Croft Street in 1870.
The firm did not Abandon the wheelwrighting of its origins, becoming a leading manufacturer of wagons and carts, continuing to produce them beyond the First World War.
In addition they became noted as plough makers. They developed new types, including the first single-beam, double-furrow plough. In the early 1860s more than 2,000 ploughs a year were being produced, both for home and overseas markets. As well as these, rollers, harrows, and in the twentieth century, beet lifters were produced.
Cooke’s developed new models for the tractor after the First World War, but fell into bankruptcy in 1938.
After World War II the site became a depot for the newly nationalised British Road Services, in the 1970s Tradex Cash & Carry moved in and latterly the site is part of Lincoln College.
THE LONDON GAZETTE, 19 JULY, 1940
H.M. LAND REGISTRY.
The following land is about to be registered. Any objections should be addressed to " H.M. Land Registry, London, W.C.2," before the 2nd day of August, 1940.FREEHOLD:
Lindum Plough Works Monks Road, Lincoln. H. A. Allman and T. J. Ball, both of 8, The Avenue, Lincoln.