Lincoln Map 1779
- It appears that Long Leys Road ran down through the West Common to join the present Carholme Road near the grandstands. It would have been little more than a track in the 18th century.
- There are five mills indicated on the map but there would have been a few more just off the northern edge of the map.
- The Pyewipe was probably a farmhouse, not yet a public house.
- The house building on the east and west of the city would not take place for almost 100 years.
- Near the southern edge of the map is the word 'Bar', this was the location of Bargate and Little Bargate. The road leading south east crosses the South Common to Canwick
- Below the word 'Bar' is shown 'Ruins': The ruins of St Catherine's Priory would still be visible, were they destroyed during the house building at St Catherines in the late 19th century?
- The land south of Foss Dyke and the river Witham is shown as scrub. All this land was at risk of flooding, there was major flooding between Foss Dyke and 'Boatham' in the 1790s, extensive drainage of the area was completed under the West Drainage provisions of the Lincoln and County drainage Act of '20th July 1804. This stated that fens, meadows and commons in Boultham and Skellingthorpe "are subject to be overflowed or otherwise annoyed with water for want of proper banks, drains and outfalls" and provided for "the draining and improving of said lands" and "for enclosing lands in the parish at Skellingthorpe". John Monson, Richard Ellison, the mayor and other owners and proprietors of land in Skellingthorpe and Boultham were appointed commissioners for the West Drainage. Anthony Bower was appointed surveyor tasked with providing the commissioners with a surveyed map and plan of the drainage area. Pool
- Cuckow Pool later became Decoy