Ruston & Hornsby Ltd
Ruston & Hornsby Limited were Ltd born out of the merger of Ruston, Proctor & Co of Lincoln and Richard Hornsby & Sons of Grantham in 1918.
World War I had ended and all of a sudden order books were empty the obvious course was for these two similar engineering companies to merge in order to make economies.
One of the first products to see the light of day from the new company was the Ruston Hornsby motor car. Three models were built: the 16/20 hp, the 20 hp and the 20/25 hp. A total of about 1,500 cars of the three models were made between 1919 and 1924. The cars were well made being built on a 9" chassis, unfortunately the heavy chassis made the cars extremely expensive, between £440 and £1000 so they could not compete with the lighter cheaper models. A 4" high brass Lincoln imp radiator mascot was an optional extra. View a picture of the car mascot here.
Click button to view Ruston & Hornsby promotional film:
Ruston & Hornsby cont-inued to make the products that they knew: traction engines, road rollers, port-able steam engines, thrashing machines, the Hornsby plough. The Wallis Tractor was also built under licence. At this time the company employed almost 7,000 people at its Lincoln and Grantham sites.
The excavator diviision of Ruston & Hornsby Ltd merged with Bucyrus-Erie of USA to form Ruston-Bucyrus Ltd in 1930.
Ruston & Hornsby continued to prosper during the great depression of the 1930s, acquiring shares in Davy, Paxman & Co in 1939 and a majority shareholding in 1941.
In 1962 R & H acquired the business of Alfred Wiseman & Co of Birmingham, gear specialists and maker of industrial locomotive and marine gear boxes. Bergius Co of Glasgow, marine engineer was acquired in 1966
The company was acquired by English Electric in 1966, GEC in 1968, part of GEC Alstom in 1989 and Siemens in 2003. Siemens still operate from Lincoln, having recently moved into new premises at Teal Park
Other pages you may like