There are over 80 buildings in the Close, most of which are in the ownership of the Cathedral, many of the buildings are of Grade 1, 2 or 2* significance. These are some of the most important:
- The Bishop’s Palace, a grand medieval series of buildings largely destroyed by the Parliamentarians during the Civil War. Standing on the south side of the Cathedral it is an manifestation of the power and wealth of Lincoln’s medieval bishops.
- The Chancellory, on Priorygate opposite the Cathedral, is easily recognised by the grand oriel window on the first floor, it is believed to be Lincoln’s oldest brick building.
- The Choristers House, stands near to Priory Gate Arch. Built in 1661 it was converted into 3 residences in 1887
- The Deanery, built by Dean, later Bishop, Gravesend in 1254. By the 19th century this building was in a poor state of repair and was replaced on the same site in the mid 1840s.
- The Subdeanery stands to the south side of the Exchequer Gate. a medieval building, re-fronted in 1873 by J.L.Pearson. A mosaic and hypocaust was discovered on the site in the 18th century.
- Cantilupe Chantry stands opposite the south east door of the Cathedral. Founded by Nicholas, Lord Cantilupe for a college of priests, to say mass for the souls of the founder and his relations at an altar.
- The Vicars’ Court, the entrance is on Greestone Lane, above the stairs. It was built as a ‘college’ for 20 Vicars Choral¹. It was originally formed into a quadrangle but many of the other buildings have been removed, Thought to have been erected during the reign of Edward I, but much altered since.
- The Vicars’ Stables or Tithe Barn stands below the Vicars’ Court and is a long two storey building built by Bishop Alnwick and John Breton in the 1440s. Lately used for storage and as a dining hall for the former Girls’ High School on Lindum Road.
¹ In medieval times the most important people of the Cathedral were the Canons. often living elsewhere they appointed so-called ‘Vicars Choral’ to deputise for them.