Watkins to Woodcock
William Watkins (1834-1926)
William Watkins was born 1834 in Worcestershire. Began practising as an Architect in Lincoln in 1864. Married Kate Garnham at Beccles in Suffolk. Father of Harry Garnham Watkins and William Gregory Watkins, both architects
Designed many decorative Buildings in Lincoln and other areas. He designed and supervised the reconstruction of the shops on High Bridge in 1902/3, in 1905 designed the restoration of the Grey Friars building in 1905 and designed the facade and vestibule of the County Assembly Rooms in Bailgate (1908). Retired in 1918. Died in Lincoln on 27 Apr 1926
Other notable Lincoln buildings designed by the William Watkins practice:
William Gregory Watkins was born in Lincoln in 1869, parents William Watkins and Kate Watkins (nee Garnham). Qualified as an architect and worked for William Watkins & Son, Married Alice Mabel Ashley of Middlesex in 1903. Continued working as William Watkins & Son, in patnership with Robert Coombes in 1934. He died in 1959
Thomas Wetherell (1801- )
Thomas Wetherell was born in 1801 in Durham, son of Thomas and Mary (nee Seymour) Wetherill. He married Jane Squires in Lancashire in 1839.
Mayor of LIncoln in 1843. In 1861 he was a tanner, trading as M & T Wetherell on Tanners Lane, Lincoln
William Stevenson White (1857-1940)
William Stevenson White was born 1857 at Ludborough. Married Ruth Cheesman in 1880. Mayor of Lincoln in 1908. 1911 Corn Merchant living at Cross O Cliff Hill, Lincoln Died 1940 in Lincoln
Richard Whitton (1803-1858)
Richard Whitton was born in Lincoln in 1803, son of Richard and Susanna (nee Asher) Whitton. Married Mary Trotter in 1849, father of Richard Whitton. He was Mayor of Lincoln in 1849. Died in 1858.
Richard Whitton (1851-1938)
Richard Whitton was born in Lincoln in 1851, son of Richard and Mary (nee Trotter) Whitton. He married Kate Bromley of Nottingham in 1881. Sheriff of Lincoln in 1888. Partner in Whitton & Ashley, wine merchants, died in 1938.
John George Williams (1839-1927)
John George Williams was born 1839 in Lincoln to Henry Williams, Attorney, and Sarah Williams. He married Rebecca Jelley in 1863. He practised as a solicitor for over 60 years. !911 Living at Lindum Lodge, Sewells Road, Lincoln. He died in 1926 in Lincoln
Edward James Willson (1787-1854)
Edward James Willson, F.S.A.,was born in Lincoln in 1787, he was the eldest son of William Willson of Lincoln by his wife Clarissa, daughter of William Tenney. He worked with his father as a builder, after a few years he decided to study architecture. He married, in 1821, Mary, daughter of Thomas Mould. He was engaged by Archdeacon Henry Vincent Bayley in the restoration and repair of many churches in Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire. He designed Roman Catholic chapels at Nottingham, Hainton, Louth, Melton Mowbray, Grantham, and elsewhere, some of which are early examples of the Gothic revival. In 1826 he designed the organ case for Lincoln Cathedral.
Between 1834 and 1845 he restored the keep, towers, and walls of Lincoln Castle, and had for more than twenty years charge of its fabric as county surveyor. The Pelham Column, 128 feet high, on a hill at Cabourn between Caistor and Grimsby, was designed by Willson for the Earl of Yarborough. He was honoured as a citizen in Lincoln, and became a city magistrate in 1834 and mayor in 1852. Willson died at Lincoln in 1854. He was buried at Hainton.
Click here to view a picture of Edward James Willson
Herbert Charles Wilson (1863-1942)
Herbert Charles Wilson was born 1863 in Boston, Lincolnshire, mother Sally Love Wilson. Married Annie Ellen Feodora Hayward (nee Rae) in 1901. In 1911 living at Beaumont Manor, Beaumont Fee (former home of Charles Knowles Tomlinson), occupation listed as Chemical Manufacturer. Died in 1942.
Page Dewing Woodcock (1820-1889)
Page Dewing Woodcock was born in Norfolk about 1820 and moved to Lincoln before 1846. He set up his chemist business at 312 High Street, co- incidentally, the site is now occupied by Boots the Chemists.
By 1861 he was employing 2 men and 3 boys.On 3rd December 1852 he was granted a patent for “An improved preparation or pill for medicinal purposes, hereby denominated Page Woodcock’s Wind Pills”.
Chemists seemed to have had fairly short lives in the 19th century, often dying in their 40s or 50s, but Page Woodcock died age 69 in 1889. His son, Page Wesley Woodcock, took over the business.
Click on name for more about Page Woodcock